Wednesday, December 28, 2016

Time Travel. Creative Writing Prompt.



I didn’t know what to do, but I was bored, so in the end I decided to press the button.

I felt an electric shock and was pushed backwards.

‘What was that?’ I said, standing up. 

A cloud of smoke enveloped both me and the machine. I couldn’t see anything. The white fumes made me cough.

After a while, the smoke disappeared. And lo and behold the attic was gone. I was in the middle of a green field.

‘Where am I?’ I wondered. I was wearing short sleeves and it was so cold I started shivering.

‘What do I do now?’ 

For some reason, I continued speaking in a loud voice, even though I was alone. I started walking. I didn’t know which way to go. All around me there was grass and then nothing else. No cows, no fences, no roads. As a landscape it was plain boring.

Suddenly, the earth moved. I looked behind me and I saw a huge dinosaur walking towards me. He was ugly, scaly and didn’t look friendly. 

‘You have to be kidding me!’

I started running, but he was faster than I was. Now I understood how rabbits felt when chased by a wolf.

He caught up with me and held me with one of his paws. I was more terrified than I’d ever been before. He lifted his paw towards his mouth and I closed my eyes.

‘No, please Lord, don’t let him eat me.’

Just then I heard a plop and was surrounded by smoke one more time. When the smoke dispersed, I saw I was back in the attic.

My uncle was looking at me and he didn’t look happy. 

‘What have I told you about not touching my things? You could have died! Thank goodness I happened to be looking at the Prehistory camera right now and was able to bring you back…’

‘I’m sorry, Uncle Bob, it’ll never happen again. I promise.’ 

While I spoke, I hid my hand behind my back. My fingers were crossed. What? My uncle’s inventions are too much fun to give them up altogether just like that.

4 comments:

  1. This is my try:

    I felt the sudden impulse of press the button, and I did it, in fact. Immediately, I remembered an unexplained event that happened in my family several years ago. Then, I could understand that mystery.

    One day, aunt Roselyn, my uncle’s wife, vanished. It was her birthday. Nobody saw her later. That day my uncle gave her a strange machine as a gift. Days passed and aunt Roselyn did not come back anymore. All the family helped to looking for her without success, even police investigation failed.

    All of us were sad because of the disappearance of aunt Roselyn; however, my uncle became an odd man...he seemed crazy. Actually, he behaved as always, even happier. He told us Roselyn was at home, she never desappeared. Besides, he thought that we were the mad ones.

    Fortunately, he kept the machine in the attic forever and did not invent anything else.

    Unfortunately, I can see aunt Roselyn now, because both of us became invisible pressing the button.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great text, Blanca. I have corrected a few things below:
      I felt the sudden impulse TO press the button, and I did it, in fact. Immediately, I remembered an unexplained event that happened in my family several years BEFORE. NOW, I could understand that mystery.

      One day, aunt Roselyn, my uncle’s wife, vanished. It was her birthday. Nobody saw her AFTER THAT. That day my uncle HAD GIVEN her a strange machine as a gift. Days passed and aunt Roselyn did not come back anymore. All the family helped to LOOK for her without success, even THE police investigation failed.

      All of us were sad because of the disappearance of aunt Roselyn; however, my uncle became an odd man...he seemed crazy. Actually, he behaved as always, even happier. He told us Roselyn was at home, she never dIsappeared. Besides, he thought that we were the mad ones.

      Fortunately, he kept the machine in the attic forever and did not invent anything else.

      Unfortunately, I can see aunt Roselyn now, because both of us became invisible pressing the button.

      THANKS FOR TAKING PART, BLANCA.

      Delete
    2. Sorry, there's one thing I forgot to correct: an event that had happened.

      Delete