Tuesday, December 27, 2016

Under My Bed



There’s a monster under my bed…

Dad has just turned off the light and told me to go to sleep, but I can’t. I hear somebody breathing and I promise it’s not me.

There’s a monster under my bed…

I have just turned on the light and called for Mum. She has come and told me to calm down. She’s tucked me in and said I was alone. She’s sung a lullaby and said she was just next door. But I can’t sleep.

There’s a monster under my bed…

I guess I could look. But I don’t want to. I’m sure I would see orange eyes. And a big brown nose. A green wart and enormous horns.

I scream for Dad and he comes again. He tells me he’s tired and fed up with me. I ask him to please look under the bed.

He says there is nothing. Just a bit of fluff. He kisses me good night and leaves my room.

There’s a monster under my bed…

I know there is. You have to believe me. I’m not making it up. I’m sure he will eat me up during the night. Then Mum and Dad will feel guilty and wish they had listened to me.

There is a monster under my bed…

Eventually I fall asleep and after a while I wake up again. I have seen him. He’s real! 

‘Mum, Mum, please come here.’

She comes to my room. Her hair tousled, her eyes half-closed. I describe the monster and she starts laughing. I pout at her cruelty.

‘Wait a minute,’ she says and returns with a book.

‘Is this by any chance your monster?’

I look at the book and there he is. The Gruffalo! It’s the story Nana read to me yesterday.

So there isn’t a monster under my bed…

Now I can sleep and so can Mum and Dad.

No comments:

Post a Comment