Saturday, January 14, 2017

Cinderella's Diary. May 15th

(To see previous entries, scroll down.)

May 15th
Dad died two days ago. I’ve been crying non-stop since then. Mum’s death was terrible, but now I’m totally alone in the world.

I keep on going over our conversation in his room the day he told me he was being poisoned. What if it was true?

At the funeral this morning, Angelica and her daughters cried loudly and blew their noses even more loudly. It was all a bit over the top, if you ask me.

After the funeral, the mourners followed us to the castle where some food and drink was served as it’s customary. I tried to be polite, but I just wanted it to be over so that I could go to my room.

I was standing in a corner on my own when Miranda approached me with a tray.

‘Do you want something to eat, Ma’am?’

‘No, thanks.’

‘I need to talk to you. There’s something you should know.’

‘Come to my room when the guests leave.’

I was intrigued by her words and even more impatient than I had been before.

My Aunt Lucy was the last to leave. She kissed me on both cheeks and looked at me sadly.

‘I wished I lived nearer, my girl. Do write to me if you need anything.’

‘I will,’ I said, smiling feebly. For a moment, I thought of confiding in her, but I realized she would never believe me.

I walked with her outside, wishing she could stay.

As soon as she had got on her carriage, I went back inside and upstairs to my room. I waited impatiently for Miranda to come. She didn’t make me wait long.

‘Come in,’ I said, when she knocked on the door.

Miranda looked behind her nervously and spoke in a low voice. 

‘This morning, before the funeral, I heard Angelica and Alma talking. Angelica said that their plan was going along nicely. I’m not sure what she meant, but it sure sounded suspicious, don’t you agree?’

‘More than you think…’

‘But that’s not all. Then she said that the next step was to get rid of the witnesses. What do you think she meant by that?’

‘No idea. But I mean to find out. Thanks, Miranda. You can leave now.’

After she had left, I sat on my bed and thought. I was not sure what the three women were planning, but it sure sounded ominous.



No comments:

Post a Comment