Friday, May 26, 2017

Book Review

I have just finished reading Everything I Never Told You and I’m still not sure whether I  was happy with the ending or not. However, that doesn’t really matter because the rest of the book is a treasure trove of ideas and emotions.

A workmate told me his professor had recommended it and I decided to buy it.

After reading the blurb and even the first few pages, you might think this is just another thriller, but nothing is farther from the truth.

Celeste Ng’s book is about a missing teenager and the police investigation into her death. Or maybe not. The plot is just an excuse to write about other very important topics.

One of the main themes is racism and wanting to belong, to fit in. Lydia, the main character, is Chinese American and has felt different all her life even though she was born in the States.

Another important theme is family mechanics and the facts that very often parents pass their dreams on to their children and want them to achieve what they couldn’t achieve themselves without thinking of how unhappy they make them feel.

Ng shows great mastery in her use of the English language and her sentences are often lyrical.

I’ve just seen the book has four stars out of five on Amazon and three point eight on Goodreads. I’d probably give it four stars.

If you don’t know what to read next, this could be what you are looking for.

I have already started reading a new book myself. It’s called One Match and even though the reviews were very good, so far I can’t say I’m in love with it. I’ll let you know what I think once I’ve finished it.



No comments:

Post a Comment