Tuesday, August 1, 2017

Crazing Heights. A Script.

EXTERIOR PSYCHIATRIC HOSPITAL - EVENING

A grey gothic building that looks more like a castle than a modern hospital.

DISSOLVE TO:

INT DOCTOR’S OFFICE. METAL FURNITURE, NOT VERY ATTRACTIVE. THE ONLY WINDOW IS OBSCURED BY  BROWN CURTAINS- EVENING.

A young man in a white coat is taking notes while the woman in front of him speaks. From time to time, he looks up and stares at her, an expression of disbelief on his face.

ADA
And when I climbed out of Emily’s book, Heathcliff was heartbroken. I told you, he’s so very much in love with me, he’s even forgotten Catherine.

DR LEESE
Ada, I think you read too much. The people in those books you like so much aren’t real.

ADA
I thought you believed me. You told me you did. 

DR LEESE
I had to. You wouldn’t have come otherwise. I needed to start you on your medication. You’ll see, in a few days, you’ll feel much better.

Ada wrings her hands nervously.

ADA
I don’t need any medicines. I’m perfectly okay.

Dr Leese sighs.

DR LEESE
Tell me about Heathcliff. Why do you think he’s in love with you?

ADA
He’s told me himself.

DR LEESE
And what about your husband?

ADA
That good-for-nothing? He’s the most boring person on the planet. He’s never felt a strong emotion. He doesn’t know what passion is.

DR LEESE
Well, think of your children at least…

ADA
They are old enough to fend for themselves. Besides they think I’m crazy. I’ll never forgive them. Why did they have to bring me to this loony bin. I don’t belong in here.

Dr Leese looks down, he doesn’t want to make eye contact.

DR LEESE
Is this the first time you’ve gone into a book?

ADA
No… I went into Pride & Prejudice as well, but I had to leave. That Mr Darcy guy is worse than my husband. I wonder what Elizabeth saw in him.

DR LEESE
Have you heard of Cervantes and El Quijote?

ADA
Yes and I know what you’re going to say. I know what happened to that guy… He lost his sanity because of all the chivalry novels he read. I’m nothing like him, however. I’m not crazy.

DR LEESE
Why do you insist Heathcliff is alive then? Admit he’s just a figment of your imagination.

ADA
Why don’t you let me show you?

DR LEESE
How?

ADA
Bring me a copy of Wuthering Heights. The one in my room will do.

Exasperated, Dr Leese gets up and walks to the door.

DR LEESE
Okay, where do you have it?

ADA
It’s on my night table.

Dr Leese goes out. Ada stares at the wall, a slightly manic smile on her face. After a couple of minutes, Dr Leese comes into the room again. He has a leather-bound book in his hand.

DR LEESE
So, what do we do now?

ADA
Just give me the book

Ada puts the book on the table and opens it. On page 115, there’s a picture of Heathcliff sitting by himself.

DR LEESE
I’m waiting, Ada.

ADA
Heathcliff, darling. There’s someone I want you to meet.

After a few seconds, the pages flutter and a cloud of dust covers the table. When the dust disperses, Heathcliff is in the room.

HEATHCLIFF
Where did you go, sweetheart? I couldn’t find you anywhere. My soul was bleeding. I thought you’d left me.

Dr Leese looks at him and then faints. Ada stands up and hugs Heathcliff. In his ear, she whispers the reason why she had to leave, but we can’t hear it.




No comments:

Post a Comment